Mr William Flick, a pioneer of Ewingsdale, where he settled in 1888, saw the need for a public hall. He approached Sir Thomas Ewing and offered the land for the site. He also gave the land for the church and school. That is how Ewingsdale got its name from Sir Thomas Ewing.
The road in front of the Hall was the Pacific Highway for many years. When the Pacific Highway was rerouted further west, the old Pacific Highway was renamed William Flick Lane in his honour.
Some interesting notes from the history of the Hall:
16 July 1934 Letter of thanks to Mr Duncombe for hauling electric poles. Moved that ladies who bring cakes to socials be admitted free.
20 August 1934 First electricity account paid.
17 September 1934 Prizes for Euchre Tournament – safety razors and chocolate
18 January 1937 Special Meeting to plan enlarging hall
18 February 1937 Special meeting to interview Mr Cross and Mrs Sansin re plans and prices for Hall Extensions. Mr Cross quoted 125 pounds
21 March 1938 It was decided to hold a social in aid of Hall funds. Mrs Rose was appointed to “procure necessary goods for supper”. Cigarettes and chocolate were made available for the chocolate waltz.
20 March 1945 The wearing of coats for men attending dances or socials was made compulsory